At Rice Lane our intent is that all pupils will develop a genuine interest and positive curiosity about foreign languages, finding them enjoyable and stimulating. Learning a second language will also offer pupils the opportunity to explore relationships between language and identity, develop a deeper understanding of other cultures and the world around them with a better awareness of self, others and cultural differences. The intention is that they will be working towards becoming life-long language learners.
All pupils will be expected to achieve their full potential by encouraging high expectations and excellent standards in their foreign language learning – the ultimate aim being that pupils will feel willing and able to continue studying languages beyond key stage 2.
An outstanding MFL pupil needs:
- To develop a curiosity to explore other languages and cultures.
- To have fun learning about different traditions of France and other French speaking countries.
- To have the confidence to have a go without fear of making a mistake.
- To build on previous knowledge of the language and recognise some patterns with words, phrases and phonics.
- To practise new skills regularly in order to retain learning.
Key Concepts taught through our MFL curriculum:
Our French curriculum at Rice Lane Primary has been designed and sequenced so that the children build upon their knowledge through key skills that are taught throughout the French curriculum from Year 3 to Year 6.
The five pillars of language learning at Rice Lane Primary school are:
- Songs, stories, rhymes
The lessons have been carefully planned to reflect a clear progression of skills in Speaking. Listening. Reading and Writing in the target language. Teachers deliver engaging lessons following the Language Angels programme including powerpoint, games, worksheets and assessment tasks. Children can access interactive games linked to the units they have studied in school on langaugeangels.com